Saturday 9 June 2012

Banquet's Big Day Out, Bank Holidays and Rain.

Hello Ladies and Gent's, I hope you've all recovered nicely after from the sounds of it, a pretty mental bank holiday weekend all round! We've just about got ourselves back to normal, I apologise I haven't updated you on it sooner.

Weirdsville was awesome, as per usual. I was totally impressed with Juke Jonah & the All Drunk Orchestra, they were absolutely incredible, it's the first Weirdsville I'd been working out the back for and it took a lot of self control not to just join in with all the dancing. And believe me, none of you have seen me dance, nobody would want to see that.

Banquet's Big Day Out. WELL. That was bloody incredible. Jon and the team pulled off something pretty fucking special, let's put it that way. They even managed to pull in a special favour with the weather by the looks of it!
For those of you that don't know, we had an acoustic tent right by the main entrance, and for an acoustic tent, it was pretty bloody loud. And our sound man looked scarily like Cliff Richard. I wish I'd taken a photo of him, but at that point we were too busy trying to figure out why there was a laminated cut out of Michael Jordan's face, stuck to a ruler next to our tent. Unfortunately I think that it's just going to have to be put down as one of life's mysteries and we lost him soon after. I would like to think he's been given a good home.

Tall Ships opened the entire event at about midday on the Etnies/ New Slang tent stage, and then shortly after, Scholars played the main stage. From the bits I heard while I was wandering to and from the coffee stall, they were both very good. I would have liked to have seen more, but Cliff was getting a bit grumpy and Michael Jordan was still confusing Jake. Luckily for us though, Banquet lent us Chris to keep it all on track back at the tent while we wandered around flyering and he was an absolute star so big thank you-s to you, Chris.
Luke Leighfield kicked off the proceedings for us at about 1pm, it was a bit drizzly so as a nice "thank you for standing in the rain watching me" he shared his sweets with everyone. How nice is that! Next up on our stage was an entire band acoustic performance by Kid Champion, so we had a little dance. We managed to catch some of MC Lars', then we had another full band set from Terrible Eyes and there was the most adorable kid on his Dad's shoulders partying away. It was so good to see that there was a proper family feel to the whole day. Sharks were awesome, the sun came out for Wheatus and then it was time for our awesome friends in The Lagan who had an entire tent dancing in seconds!

The rest gets a bit hazy and I basically only just remember sitting outside a tent bum shuffling to David Rodigan but I know myself and everyone I have spoken to about it thoroughly enjoyed themselves, ROLL ON NEXT YEAR ;).

But seriously, MASSIVE thank you to Banquet for having us and I reckon if you were there, pop into the shop and tell them how much you loved it!

We had The Lagan play again for FREE last night. If you missed it, the only real excuse is that you were stuck in a muddy puddle at Download. Don't do it again. I definitely recommend trying to catch them at some point soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment